MEDICAL PRACTICE MODELS/ INTEGRATED DELIVERY SYSTEMS
This class examines various organizational structures available to physicians and the reasoning behind the creation of such structures. Upon entering the practice of medicine, physicians may choose to associate with a business organization of some sort. This business organization may affect the physician by determining: services to be provided, compensation terms, and long term opportunities. Physicians should understand the different forms of business organizations and how these business organizations effect physicians so that physicians can make an intelligent choice.
This class will look at the advantages and disadvantages of Independent Practice Associations (IPA), Physician Hospital Organizations (PHO), Provider Sponsored Organizations (PSO), Management Service Organizations (MSO), Practice Acquisition models and Equity models. Also, this chapter will explore clinical integration and how it effects physicians.
Class 8 Topics: MEDICAL PRACTICE MODELS/ INTEGRATED DELIVERY SYSTEMS
1. Formulate alternatives for healthcare practice models.
2. Identify clinical integration and how it effects physicians.
3. Evaluate emerging models of health care delivery systems.
1. Describe four collaborative options for integrating services of hospitals and physicians and list the pros and cons for each option.
2. Explain clinical integration, describe its goals, and what it requires to function.
3. Analyze emerging models of health care delivery systems and list at least three advantages and disadvantages for each model.